Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The Experience of Fence Monologue

After reading Fences, I was mad at Troy.  I regarded Troy as a positive protagonist at the beginning of the story because he protested the race bravely, but I was disappointed when I saw him cheating on other women and deterring other's dreams.  I was afraid to put an extreme perspective on the character, so I chose another character who seemly did not say something in the story--Lyon.

Lyon loves music, who has the same interest with me.  I cannot symbolize all people who love art or music, but I can understand the feeling of loving music.  Lyon is a simple man.  He can play with uncle Gabriel; he cannot afford his life, but he does not want to make money by carrying rubbish.  Therefore, if I were standing on Lyon's position, how I would do.  As Lyon, I thought, "I come by t my father and ask him for ten dollars, my father will probably give them to me because he should be responsible to me.  My father is not really close to me, and because of that, I lost the support from the father.  My mom adopted me as if she was a single mother, so I hated him for giving up on mother and me.  I can forget about it now because it happened a long time ago and I am an adult.  Moreover, I have to borrow father's money recently."

According to the story's background, I build Lyon's mental activity before the scene happens, then it helps me to feel Lyon's emotion change when he talks to his father.  Lyon should be polite at first because he asks father for dollars, and then when his father criticizes his job, he is agitated because he wants to clarify that music is irreplicable in his heart.  I think at that moment, Lyon is just a little bit emotional because he is so confident about his love that others can not change his mind and disgust his love.  However, when his father mentions the past about raising, I believe that he cannot stand it anymore because it is a scare that never can be healed.  Actually, even if he is furious, he represses the anger because he has to get the ten dollars.

As a result, in the practice, I wanted to show the change of emotion, and I also wanted to show the emotions of both awkwardness and depressed anger.  The change of emotion is easy to perform, but the mixed emotions are hard to perform.  It is like you are both objective and subjective at the same time; you are so furious, but the intelligence tells you to be reasonable.  It is full of conflict, so I decided to exaggerate the feeling of anger instead of the awkwardness when the character asks for money.

I added some rest to the sentences to make the monologue has more layers, then the character can be more solid.  My weakness in the practice is that I did not remember the lines proficiently, and I was so nervous that I stuttered at some points.  On the recording day, I was even more anxious than the practice day, but fortunately, I remember the lines well.  I tried to show Lyon's reactions when he asks for money, but I did not know whether audience felt it.  I should learn the skills about how to show up the complicated feelings by taking some small actions.  I need to improve the expression of the conflicts next time.

My peers' monologues are food.  I like Cassidy's accent.  Even though her voice and passion when she performed are great and amazing, the feature that attracts me the most is her accent.  Troy has accents, and his speaking tone is different than white people.  Every nation has their own accents when they speak English.  Cassidy imitates the accent and tone really well.  I also like Yun's performance.  I cannot point out how he did well, but his performance makes me feel comfortable.  He did not exaggerate the character's figure, but his body language drew the character with a strong personality.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka2JA6_FcFw

No comments:

Post a Comment