Sunday, September 24, 2017

Notes on Act 1 Romeo and Juliet

The electric book in iBooks increases my interest in reading the ancient English book.  I read Othello last year, and it is truly difficult to read because of too many confusing words.  However, when I read Romeo and Juliet today, I found out it is not necessary to know the meaning of each word.  After I read through the scripts, I can watch the short recording clips, and then I know what happens in the story and what the emotion of characters.  It is easy for people to understand the plot, and I think that is how fascinating that the performance has.

The first half of Act 1 explains the background that Capulet and Montague are wealthy powerful families that they are against with each other.  Our main character, Romeo is from Montague, and Juliet is from Capulet.  Then, one day Juliet's father hold a party for Juliet to let her knows Paris, a wealthy nobleman, and her father want Juliet to consider the marriage with Paris.  

From the story so far I am impressed by two characters: Benvolio and Tybalt.  Benvolio is one of Romeo's close friends.  He has a good temper, and we can see it from the fighting at the beginning of the story between servants.  He is also a wise man I think because when he helps Romeo out of the pain of love, he suggests Romeo to attend the Capulet's party to compare the girl that Romeo loved with other girls.  How sweet he is to ignore the biases and gaps between Capulet and Benvolio.  Every member came to the stage so far have their strong bias on the opposite family, so it makes Benvolio reveal that how smart and fair he is. 

Another character, Tybalt, has opposite personalities with Benvolio, and I do not like him.  He has a strong short temper, which can cause a big trouble both for his family and himself.  In fact, if we continue reading that, we can see the cause of death and the start point of tragedy are from Tybalt.  We really should treat others with our patience, even the people that we don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment