Friday, March 9, 2018

In-Class Writing: Grading Sam's paper and learn from her

Samantha Weed-- Girl Problems: Portraying Juliet's Inner Turmoil and Outer Conflict Onstage

Analysis of the literary features of the text: 5
Exploration of the chosen approach to the text: 9
Use of language, structure: 5
Total: 19

Sam's paper for me is so well-organized and almost perfect. There is no grammar mistake, at least I could not find any.  Each sentence is so clear and precise, and not many repetitions in it.  For the exploration part, she picked up the specific words to explain how she acted, which is incredibly detailed.  She wrote literary analysis and then her performance exploration for the next paragraph and then turned to the literary analysis again.  Writing like that can give many details about the character in literature and her performance because it is easy to connect what you do for the character to the literature.  I think it is the best way to write this paper so that we can focus on analyzing the character's each line instead of analyzing the character from a broad sight.  Then, when we write the acting exploration part, we can make a pointed reference from the last paragraph's literary analysis.  Sam did not mention staging too much, instead, she wrote about how to transport the message and theme correctly to the audience.  Additionally, she also wrote her opinion on Juliet, her character, which makes me a bit surprised because I do not know whether we can share emotional judgment to the character on paper.

Based on the reading and thinking, I think I really should change my structure first, and add more details, such as analyzing the effect of each word of the script and how I emphasize some words on language.  Then, I could write the process of knowing Amanda, and how I can transport the image to the audience.  Lastly, I can use some literary words, such as Foreshadowing, like Sam did.

No comments:

Post a Comment