Thursday, October 11, 2018

Between the Pool and the Gardenias

1.  Her lips were wide and purple, like those African dolls you see in tourist store windows but could never afford to buy.
2.  Her eyes closed as though she was dreaming of far other places.
3.  At night, I could rock her alone in the hush of my room, rest her on my belly, and wish she were inside.
4.  But Rose.  My, she was so clean and warm.
5.  Rose didn't stir or cry.  She was like something that was thrown aside after she became useless to someone cruel.
6.  There was my great-grandmother Eveline who was killed by Dominican soldiers at the Massacre River.  My grandmother Defile who died with a bald head in a prison, because God had given her wings.  My godmother Lili who killed herself in old age because her husband had jumped out of a flying balloon and her grown son left her to go to Miami.
7.  Maybe I was to do some good for this child.
8.  I pretended that it was all mine.
9.  Rose listened with her eyes closed even though I was telling her things that were much too strong for a child's ears.
10.  She looked the same as she did when I found her.  She continued to look like that for three days.  After that, I had to bathe her constantly to keep down the smell. 
11.  I left her in a shack behind the house, where the Dominican kept his tools.  Three times a day, I visited her with my hand over my nose.
12.  I knew I had to act with her because she was attracting flies and I was keeping her spirit from moving on.


     I thought it is a romantic story, but it actually ends up as a thriller.  The woman in the story is called Marie, who finds a baby on the street.  She adopts the baby and names her Rose.  She is the last one of her family, and she is the main key for the audience to connect the other stories in this book because the characters that showed up in the previous passages are her family members.  She also has an unfortunate marriage, so she leaves her husband.  As a result, she does not have any child by her side due to some unknown reasons.  
        She desires for control.  We can see it through her description.  She clearly said that she hopes everything is hers.  Therefore, based on the thoughts and the other evidence that I found above, I have a strong feeling that Marie is a psychopath.  I do not know whether she kills a baby, but I am really confident that she is keeping a dead baby from the beginning to the end.  When Marie first looks at Rose, Rose's lips are purple.  Then, after three days, Rose's body is corrupted quickly.  Besides, Rose does not cry, which it is really uncommon for a baby.  
        In addition, through what Marie does, I am scared completely.  When I read Rose smells and Marie compares Rose to a pig intestine, I know something wrong.  As a normal person, we usually feel something wrong.  Even though Marie is not a normal person, she should be panic and send her child to a hospital being a mother who she really wants to be.  If she is yearning to be a mother, whether she is a psychopath or not, she will act like a mother and worry about her child.  However, she does not.  Instead, she leaves Rose in a shack, where the Dominican kept his tools.  She treats Rose like a tool.  I do not get it, and I am afraid of her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment