Thursday, October 25, 2018

10/25 In class writing

Theme
It is usually hard for the first immigrant, but second generation will live easily in the United States.  Therefore, immigration creates a generation gap and the feeling of unsettled simultaneously, and sometimes it requires the sacrifice of the first immigrants.  The first generation incures the culture habit, but the second generation often anchors the native culture.
Generation Gap
Bone Soup: “If she keep smaking this soup, I will dip my head into the pot and scald myself blind.  That will show her that there’s no magic in it.” “Ma believed that her bone soup could cure all kinds of ills.”
Marriage Shower: “I don’t really like showers, but I’ll let you give me one because there are certain things that I need” Caroline said. “A shower is like begging.  In Haiti we are poor, but we do not beg” mom said.
Sacrifice
“When I was born, they felt a sense of helplessness.  Papa would need to pull more carts. Ma would need to sell more water, more charcoal, more peanuts.  They had to try to find a way to leave Haiti.”
“She laid the bag on her bed, taking out many of the items that she had put in it years ago when she left Haiti to come to the United States to be reunited with my father.”

No comments:

Post a Comment