Tuesday, September 11, 2018

In-class Inflection


        Verbatim Theater is the theater that director interview different people about one topic, use the interviews as scripts and transfer them to the stage according to the conversation and environment of the interview.  I think the reason people like the verbatim theater is that it shows the variety of people's mind, and depict the interviewees as real as possible.  It is the news cannot do, because the news will paragraph the interview and it more likely to rearrange or pick the words differently than the interviewees' original words.  Secondly, news cannot show the background of interviews.  Therefore, verbatim theater not only provides the real story but also depict the environment of the interview.  It visually gives people a stronger sense of the theme.

        Verbatim Theater for me is the theater more close to daily life.  The exercise asked us to tell the boarding life in the campus, which it is too common to notice.  Helen, Joey, David and I were in one group, discussed the topic of roommates.  We introduced our roommates, told a story about them or between them and us.  It was a really interesting topic, but I think it was a little bit difficult for me to act.  I was going to retell Helen's and David's stories, repeating their words, learning their speaking habits, and imitating their gestures.  I thought it is another usual acting like I did, such as Romeo and Juliet and Fences, before until I made my observation of two people.  We were like ordinary people, who do not have really extreme personality or extraordinary experiences, so it is difficult for me to depict them.  Especially, on the performance day, they were sitting there watching me play, so it was more pressure for me.  In addition, we all know each other, so it was so easy to tell whether I acted really like Helen and David or not.  In the stage of verbatim theater, there is only one correct answer for actors.  It is absolutely a challenge for me, but I really enjoy it and was happy to play it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment