Sunday, January 14, 2018

Play Proposal

          Jacob and I are going to play the series of the scenes to show the relationship between Amanda and Tom.  In the scenes, I will play Amanda, and Jacob will play Tom.  By reading The Glass Menagerie, we can see that Tom always gets into arguments with his mother, Amanda.  Tom does not want to live in the small town, and he also can not stand his mother's nagging.  However, Amanda wants Tom to stay at home and support the family.  In the end of the play, the arguments directly lead to the tragedy.  Tom and Amanda cannot fix their relationship because they Tom left home and it is not possible to have any conversation.  Therefore, we want to show the process that how their relationship goes wrong.  Jacob and I believe that even if Tom is not happy with Amanda, he still loves his family at some point.  We will act out two scenes at least.  One is the scene that Tom told Amanda that he found a gentleman caller for Laura in the fire escape, and the other is the last argument between them in the last scene.
          I play Amanda who is a kind, talkative but annoying woman.  I feel like she is a typical woman who is from 19-20 centuries.  She is a low educated housewife, nagging murmuring all the time.  She is not mentally independent, so she gives her all love, hope, and a feeling of security to her family, to her two children.  Therefore, it makes me feel like Amanda's identity relies on her kids.  It is so common for parents to ask their children to follow their unfinished goals and force them to make up their regret.  Parents themselves regard this thought as love, and they think they are right.  Therefore, as Amanda, I think I am not annoying, even though I am annoying.  I would like to play Amanda as a straightforward person, who cannot hold their emotion so that she cannot stop talking.  I would also like to play Amanda as a little kid, who just pays attention to her own ideas.  She can feel that her kids do not like her, but she cannot tell why.  Therefore, she is a little bit frustrated and sad, but she will never disappointed to them, and she decide to keep on worrying and loving them by nagging.
          For literary analysis, I would like to focus on exploring Character's personality and staging skill.  I would like to analyze how Amanda's reaction and emotion will be when she hears some specific sentences or words.  In addition, I would also want to focus on speaking.  For example, what face Amanda will make when she says some words, what the words she will emphasize, and what different intonation she will have when she repeats same lines.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment