Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Blog 8: Character in Romeo and Juliet

Our group used my proposal that Romeo is a psychopath and all the things happen in the original story is his imagination.  I outlined the story into four scene, and there are four characters so each person in our group gets one character.

I act Mercutio, the best friend with Romeo.  Mercutio is a patient in the psychiatric hospital, but he does not, strictly speaking, have any mental problem.  The only problem for him is that he has transvestism.  He likes to dress like a girl and collect different women's underwears.  He did not steal underwears from others but buy them in the store, and he did not make any trouble to the society.  However, people's offensive judging drives Mercutio crazy.  The society does not welcome Mercutio, so in the end, the policemen sent him to the psychiatric hospital because of rumors of him among the crowd.  

Therefore, if I were Mercutio, I would love to stay in the hospital forever because other patients will not judge me by their "common sense".  I do not have to keep my habit in secret.  Therefore, I live in hospital happily as a patient.  As a girl, I am acting a man, but because of the man's transvestism, I should act like a girl in a male's perspective.  It is extremely exciting for me.   

For customs, I need a wig, dressing unmatchly.  I will act like a crazy person in front of the crowd but act commonly when I talk to my best friend Romeo.  I like making jokes around, but talk all my troubles to my friend, even though my friend Romeo is living in his imagined romance and does not care about others' lives.  I think Mercutio is a smart person, so he knows why Romeo got a mental break and he gives Romeo his sympathies.  However, he does not believe in love, especially the love at first sight, so they often got an argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment